Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors (YUVA) 2.0
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
4th Oct, 2022
The Prime Minister’s Scheme for Mentoring Young Authors – YUVA 2.0 was launched.
About ‘Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors’ (YUVA) Scheme
- The YUVA scheme is basically a mentorship program to train young authors.
- It is aimed at mentoring 75 writers under the age of 30.
- It targets young authors who are ready to express themselves and portray Indian culture and literature in a global arena.
- Under the scheme, each author will get a consolidated scholarship of Rs 50,000 per month for a period of six months.
- The idea behind this program is to push reading and authorship as a profession on par with other professions.
- The scheme envisions cultivating modern ambassadors of Indian literature as the country heads towards 75 years of independence.
About YUVA 2.0
- The launch of YUVA 2.0 is in tune with the Prime Minister’s vision to encourage the youth to understand and appreciate India’s democracy.
- YUVA 2.0 is a part of India@75 Project (Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav) to bring to the fore the perspectives of the young generation of writers on the THEME: ‘Democracy (institutions, events, people, constitutional values – past, present, future)’ in an innovative and creative manner.
- The National Book Trust (NBT), India, under the Ministry of Education as the Implementing Agency will ensure phase-wise execution of the Scheme under well-defined stages of mentorship.
- It aims to promote reading, writing, and book culture in the country.
- In view of the fact that our country is ranked third in the arena of book publishing and we have a treasure trove of indigenous literature, India must project it at the global stage.
About the National Book Trust
- It is an apex body established by the Government of India (Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education) in the year 1957.
- NBT is mandated to publish-
- the classical literature of India
- Outstanding works of Indian authors in Indian languages and their translation from one Indian language to another
- Translation of outstanding books from foreign languages
- Outstanding books of modern knowledge for popular diffusion.