Recently, the 63rd Ramon Magsaysay Award 2021 was announced. The award is presented in a formal ceremony in Manila, the capital of the Philippines on 31st August each year.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is considered Asia's premier prize and highest honour.
- Established in: 1957
- It is named after Ramon Magsaysay, the third president of the Republic of the Philippines.
- Till 2009, awards were traditionally given in five categories:
- Government service
- Public service
- Community leadership
- Journalism, literature and creative communication arts
- Peace and International understanding.
- However, post 2009, the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation annually selects the awardees for the field of Emergent Leadership.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is regarded as the Asian version of the Nobel Prize.
Selection and presentation
- The Award recognises and honours individuals and organisations in Asia, regardless of race, creed, gender, or nationality, who have achieved distinction and have helped others generously without aiming for public recognition.
- The trustees of the foundation annually select the awardees who are then presented with a certificate and a medal with an image of Ramon Magsaysay.
- The first Ramon Magsaysay Awards were given to five individuals working in
- the Philippines
- China (Taiwan)
- Sri Lanka
- A Philippine-based organisation
Winners of Ramon Magsaysay Award 2021
- Bangladesh’s Dr. Firdausi Qadri (Affordable Vaccine Champion),
- Pakistan’s Muhammad Amjad Saqib (Poverty Alleviation Visionary),
- Roberto Ballon, Filipino fisher and community environmentalist
- American Steven Muncy for humanitarian work and refugee assistance
- Watchdoc Indonesian torch bearer for investigative journalism