7 new districts in West Bengal
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
2nd Aug, 2022
The West Bengal cabinet has approved the creation of seven new districts in the state.
- This will take the number of districts in West Bengal to 30 from the existing 23.
How a new district is created?
- The power to create new districts or alter or abolish existing districts rests with the State governments.
- This can either be done through an executive order or by passing a law in the State Assembly.
- Many States prefer the executive route by simply issuing a notification in the official gazette.
Role of Centre
- The Centre has no role to play in the alteration of districts or creation of new ones. States are free to decide.
- The Home Ministry comes into the picture when a State wants to change the name of a district or a railway station.
- The State government’s request is sent to other departments and agencies such as the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Intelligence Bureau, Department of Posts, Geographical Survey of India Sciences and the Railway Ministry seeking clearance.
- A no-objection certificate may be issued after examining their replies.
- The 2001 Census recorded 593 districts, which went up to 640 in 2011.
- India currently has more than 775 districts.
- Uttar Pradesh has the most districts (75) in the country, followed by Madhya Pradesh (52).
- Goa, by contrast, has only 2 districts.
- However, the number of districts in a state is not always a function of the area of the state, or of its population.