PingaliVenkayya's birth anniversary
- Posted By
History & Culture
2nd Aug, 2022
To mark the birth anniversary of PingaliVenkayya,the Central government will release a special commemorative postage stamp.
Who was PingaliVenkayya?
- Born near Machilipatnam (Andhra Pradesh) on August 2, 1876, Pingali designed many models of the national flag.
- PingaliVenkayya was a fervent freedom fighter and the designer of the Indian national flag who went on to become synonymous with the spirit of free and independent India.
- Venkayya was a Gandhian ideology.
- He was also a linguist, geolist and writer.
- He also published a book in 1916 offering thirty designs of what could make the Indian flag.
- The national flag that we see today was based upon his design.
- His life and contribution to the freedom struggle have been barely documented.
- In 1921, Mahatma Gandhi approved Venkayya’s design during the Indian National Congress meeting in Vijayawada.
- The Centre is organising a `HarGharTiranga` campaign to mark 75 years of independence.
- Tirangayatra will be held in Delhi on August 3.
- The union minister said the state governments, non-governmental organisations and all political parties have been asked to organise the celebrations in every village, city, town and every street in the name of PrabhatPheeri from August 9 to August 13.