A report on antibiotic use in the dairy sector
- Posted By
Science & Technology
31st Jul, 2020
- The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) recently published a survey report on antibiotic use in the dairy sector.
- Farmers indiscriminately use antibiotics for diseases such as mastitis (infection/inflammation of the udder), a common ailment in dairy animals.
- Antimicrobial resistance is the ability of a microorganism (like bacteria, viruses, and some parasites) to stop an antimicrobial (such as antibiotics, antivirals and antimalarial) from working against it. As a
- result, standard treatments become ineffective, infections persist and may spread to others.
- India is the world’s largest milk producer — it produced a massive 188 million tonnes in 2018-19