Arjun Main Battle Tank MK-1A
- Posted By
Science & Technology
15th Feb, 2021
- The indigenously developed Arjun Main Battle Tank (MK-1A) has been handed over to the Indian Army.
Arjun Main Battle Tank
- The Arjun Main Battle Tank project was initiated by DRDO in 1972.
- It has ‘Fin StabilisedArmour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS)’ ammunition.
- It is fitted with a 120-mm caliber rifled gun.
- It also has a computer-controlled integrated fire control system.
- Secondary weapons
- A co-axial 7.62-mm machine gun for anti-personnel.
- It has a 12.7-mm machine gun for anti-aircraft and ground targets.
- To create a “state-of-the-art tank with superior firepower, high mobility, and excellent protection”.
- The Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) is its lead laboratory.
- DRDO along with 15 academic institutions, eight labs, and several MSMEs are other partners.