Automatic Grain dispensing machines being tested in 5 cities on pilot basis
- Posted By
22nd Feb, 2021
Automatic Grain dispensing machines being tested in 5 cities on pilot basis that enable beneficiaries to obtain subsidized food grains without having to visit FPS to provide freedom to the beneficiaries
How Automatic Grain dispensing machine (AGDM) will work?
- A mobile number and a unique mark are enlisted alongside each ration card holder in a database and a message is sent to their mobile notifying the availability of their ration
- The beneficiary confirms his unique identification mark (fingerprint/iris), enters the amount of food grains required and weighing is done utilizing load cell accurately.
- The data regarding the inventory received, distributed and the stocks remaining in the shop are updated, in real time, in a central server.
- A fully automated system to bring in transparency and efficiency in the entire supply chain of the system.
Reasons for introducing AGDM
- The Public Distribution System of India suffers from several shortcomings:
- Quality of sustenance grains distributed through PDS is inferior
- Diversion of good quality grains to open market for illegal monetary gains and replacing it with poor quality grains
- Bogus ration cards to procure food grains to sell in the open market
- Irregularities in the recognition of beneficiary families and distribution of commodities
- Failure to achieve price control and stabilization of basic commodities
National Food Security Act
- It covers 75% population in rural area and 50% in urban areas
- Every person belonging to priority households shall be entitled to receive
- five kilograms of food grains per person per month at the subsidised price not exceeding rupees 3 per kg for rice, rupees 2 per kg for wheat and rupee 1 per kg
- and households covered under Antyodaya Anna Yojana are entitled to thirty-five kilograms of food grains per household per month
Beneficiaries are identified by State Government
- The eldest adult woman is head of the household for the purpose of issue of ration cards
- Constitution of State Food Commission
- Maternity benefits for Pregnant and Lactating mother, who are not in regular employment, upto 6000
- Recently 30 lakhs beneficiary have been added to NFSA