Recently, the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa-Rigpa and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) launched 'Ayush Aahaar' at its Ayush Bhawan canteen.
What is Ayush Aahaar?
- Ayush Aahaar is a healthy diet that includes kokum drink, gajar ka halwa, bhajani vade and vegetable poha.
- These dishes are rich in nutrition and are very popular among the public. Also, they are easily digestible.
- It mainly aims to reduce the burden of lifestyle diseases.
- Lifestyle diseases are heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and stroke.
- AYUSH lifestyle includes a healthy diet, regular exercise and yoga.
Growth Potential of AYUSH in India
- India is the world leader in AYUSH practices.
- There are more than 500 colleges and 3000 hospitals dedicated to AYUSH. If the project becomes a success, the diet can be introduced in these hospitals.
- The AYUSH market in India is 10 billion USD.
- It is predicted to increase by 50% in the next five years. There are no FDI limits for AYUSH.
- India is the second largest exporter of alternative medicines in the world.
- Yoga and acupuncture are gaining popularity in developed countries.
- Major partners: The major AYUSH partners of India are Japan, Russia, UAE and USA. India is pushing AYUSH largely through the National Ayush Mission.
- The mission was launched in 2014 to promote cost effective AYUSH medicines, cultivate medicinal plants, increase institutional capacities and to provide cost effective medical services.
Important Initiatives of the Ayush Ministry
- Aahaar Kranti Mission
- New Portals on Ayush Sector
- ACCR Portal and Ayush Sanjivani App