The UNGA(United Nations General Assembly) proclaimed 21st March as this International Day to be commemorated annually. It was adopted on 26th October 1966.
- The theme for this year is Youth standing up against racism.
- The public is made aware through #FightRacism.
- The aim is to market a worldwide culture of tolerance, equality, and anti-discrimination and calls on all folks to face up against racial prejudice and intolerant behavior.
Historical Background :
- In 1960, on an equivalent day, police killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville, South Africa , against the apartheid "pass laws".
- It signifies the struggle to end the policy of apartheid in South Africa and calls on the international community to redouble its efforts to eliminate all kinds of racism .