Connecting more people: on PM WANI
- Posted By
Science & Technology
5th January, 2021
- The Central government’s move to enable public wi-fi data service through small retail data offices can get many more people connected.
What is PM-WANI?
- Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM WANI) scheme will bring the broadband Internet to remote locations at minimum investment.
- It will give subscribers the option of making small, need-based payments.
What does the scheme aims for?
- It aims to bridge that divide using wireless technologies.
- Potentially, Internet access will connect a new wave of users not just to commercial and entertainment options, but also to education, telehealth and agriculture extension.
- It will bring greater accountability to government by boosting transparency and interactivity.
What are the citizen’s concerns?
- Protection of data integrity
- transparency on commercial use of data
- security against cyber-attacks