Countries from South-Asia region to remove Rubella and Measles
- Posted By
11th Jul, 2020
- Geneva-based World Health Organization (WHO) has announced on 8th July 2020 that Sri Lanka and the Maldives have eliminated Rubella Virus.
- Sri Lanka and the Maldives became the first two countries from the South East Asia Region of WHO to have successfully eliminated both the Measles and Rubella.
- In 2017-18, Bhutan, Timor-Leste, North Korea and the Maldives were the four countries from the South-East Asia Region of the WHO to successfully eliminate Measles Virus.
- The target year set by the WHO for eliminating Measles and Rubella from the South-East Asia Region is 2023 (earlier was 2020, Revised in September 2019 to 2023).
- There are a total of 11 countries in the WHO’s South-East Asia Region. They are India, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Thailand, Maldives, Myanmar, North Korea, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, and Nepal.