Earth to Voyager 2: Reconnected
- Posted By
Science & Technology
18th Feb, 2021
NASA has again been successful in establishing the communications channel back on Voyager 2.
What is Voyager 2?
- NASA's Voyager 2 is the second spacecraft to enter interstellar space.
- It is designed to take advantage of a rare planetary alignment to study the outer solar system.
- Voyager 2 targeted Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- On December 10, 2018, the spacecraft joined its twin—Voyager 1—as the only human-made objects to enter the space between the stars.
- Both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 hold the records for the farthest a spacecraft has ever traveled and for the longest operating mission.
Scientific Instrumentsin Voyager 2
- Imaging Science System (ISS)
- Ultraviolet Spectrometer (UVS)
- Infrared Interferometer Spectrometer (IRIS)
- Planetary Radio Astronomy Experiment (PRA)
- Photopolarimeter (PPS)
- Triaxial Fluxgate Magnetometer (MAG)
- Plasma Spectrometer (PLS)
- Low-Energy Charged Particles Experiment (LECP)
- Plasma Waves Experiment (PWS)
- Cosmic Ray Telescope (CRS)
- Radio Science System (RSS)
How the Communication between Earth and Voyager 2 takes place?
- Voyager 2 can only receive commands from Earth via one antenna in the entire world.
- It is called DSS 43 and it is in Canberra, Australia.
- It is part of the Deep Space Network or DSN.