Elephant shrew rediscovered in Africa
- Posted By
27th Aug, 2020
- Somali sengi, not been seen since early 1970s, has been found alive and well in Djibouti during a scientific expedition.
- Somali sengi is a type of elephant shrew in the family Macroscelididae.
- Its natural habitat is arid and semiarid desert with rocky substrates and sparse shrubs.
- The recent data shows that the Somali Sengi is an inhabitant of Somalia, Djibouti and Ethiopia, rather than just Somalia.
- IUCN status: Data Deficient.