Government launches Swadesh Darshan 2
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
20th Oct, 2022
Recently, the Government launched Swadesh Darshan 2 with chosen destinations from 15 States.
- The initiative is being taken as part of the first phase of the ‘Swadesh Darshan 2’ which will be kicked off from January.
- The Swadesh Darshan scheme is 100% centrally funded.
- Fifteen States are part of the first phase which include Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra.
- Two destinations from each State have been identified, sources in the Ministry of Tourism.
- Some of the prominent places identified are Jhansi and Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh, Gwalior, Chitrakoot and Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh and Ajanta and Ellora in Maharashtra.
- The government recently revamped the scheme as Swadesh Darshan 2.0 (SD2.0) to develop sustainable and responsible destinations with a tourist and destination centric approach.
About Swadesh Darshan
- Swadesh Darshan, a Central Sector Scheme.
- It was launched in 2014 -15 for integrated development of theme based tourist circuits in the country.
- This scheme is envisioned to synergise with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, and Make in India.
- Under the scheme, the Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to State Governments/Union Territory Administrations for infrastructure development of circuits.
- One of the objectives of the scheme is to develop theme-based tourist circuits on the principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner.
- Under the scheme, fifteen thematic circuits have been identified– Buddhist Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Heritage Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Krishna Circuit, North East Circuit, Ramayana Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Sufi Circuit, Tirthankar Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Wildlife Circuit.
Other Related Initiatives
- PRASHAD Scheme: 30 projects for development of infrastructure have also been undertaken under the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive(PRASHAD) Scheme.
- Iconic Tourist Sites: Buddhist Sites at Bodhgaya, Ajanta &Ellora have been identified to be developed as Iconic Tourist Sites (aimed at enhancing India’s soft power).
- Buddhist Conclave: Buddhist Conclave is organised every alternate year with the objective of promoting India as a Buddhist Destination and major markets around the globe.
- DekhoApnaDesh’ Initiative: It was launched by the Ministry of Tourism in 2020 to encourage the citizens to travel widely within the country thus enabling the development of Domestic Tourism tourist facilities and infrastructure.