Hampi stone chariot now gets protective ring
- Posted By
7th Dec, 2020
The protected monument is facing the risk of being damaged by such objectionable behaviour of some of the tourists.
What are the features of Hampi stone chariot?
- The chariot is a shrine dedicated to Garuda, built inside the Vittala Temple Complex.
- The massive sculpture of Garuda, Lord Vishnu’s escort once was seated atop the chariot but it is empty at the present date.
- It is internationally recognized as a world heritage site by the UNESCO.
What is the history around it?
- The chariot was built by King Krishnadevaraya of the Vijayanagara Empire during the 16th
What are its architectural features?
- It is inspired by the Dravidian style of architecture.
- The chariot looks like one solid structure but in fact, has been built by slabs of granite.
- The base on which the chariot rests depicts beautiful mythical battle scenes in intricate details. There were sculptures of horses where presently elephants are seated.