Helium Enhanced Cool Stars
- Posted By
Science & Technology
18th Aug, 2020
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) an autonomous institute of DST, have discover He-enhanced cool bright stars among the metal-rich parts of Omega Centauri globular cluster.
- This is the first time He-abundance has been found in Omega Centauri.
- Globular clusters are the stellar systems with millions of stars formed from the same gaseous cloud.
- Omega Centauri is the brightest and the largest globular cluster in our Milky Way Galaxy.
- Usually, the stars formed will be homogeneous in their chemical composition of elemental abundances.
- The different stars of Omega Centauri do not show the same metal content, a parameter that indicates its age, but a large range in it.
- The study provides a very important clue for the origin of the He-enhanced population establishing that these are the second generation of stars formed from the metal-rich and He-enhanced material from the first generation of stars.