Inauguration of PRASHAD projects in Varanasi
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
17th Jul, 2021
In a latest development, various development projects in Varanasi have been inaugurated. The projects include
- The operation of the Cruise Boat from AssiGhat to RajGhat under the Project “Development of River Cruise in Varanasi under PRASHAD Scheme”.
- The Tourist Facilitation Centre under the Project “Development of Varanasi under PRASHAD Scheme – Phase II”
What is PRASHAD scheme?
- The ‘National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) is a Central Sector Scheme.
- It is fully financed by the Government of India.
- The scheme was launched by the Ministry of Tourism in the year 2014-15.
- It was launched with the objective of the integrated development of identified pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
- The scheme aimed at infrastructure development such as entry points (Road, Rail, and Water Transport), last-mile connectivity, basic tourism facilities, etc.
Ministry of Tourism
- Founded in: 1967
- The Ministry of Tourism functions as the nodal agency for the development of tourism in the country.
- This Ministry is headed by the Union Minister of State for Tourism (Independent Charge).