India and Myanmar have agreed to work towards the operationalization of the Sittwe port in the Rakhine state in the first quarter of 2021.
- Posted By
11th Oct, 2020
- It was announced after the conclusion of the two-day visit of Indian Army Chief and Indian Foreign Secretary to Myanmar.
- The progress in the ongoing Indian-assisted infrastructure projects was also discussed.
- India also announced a grant of $2 million Dollars for the construction of the border haat bridge at Byanyu/Sarsichauk in Chin State.
- The haat will provide increased economic connectivity between Mizoram and Myanmar.
- Sittwe port
- It is situated at the mouth of the Kaladan River.
- It is being financed by India as a part of the Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project.
- Aim of the project: To develop transport infrastructure in southwestern Myanmar and north-eastern India.