Recently, Commonwealth Games 2022 finishes, as India’s performance grabs global eyes.
What are commonwealth nations?
- The Commonwealth of Nations is an association of independent sovereign states, most of which are former colonies of the United Kingdom.
- The British Monarch remains the head of the Commonwealth.
- Hence, the Queen of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II is given the title of Head of the Commonwealth.
- This title doesn’t hold any political power over its member countries.
Members of Commonwealth
- There are 54 countries in the Commonwealth, in Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe, and the Pacific. Commonwealth countries are diverse – they are amongst the world’s biggest, smallest, richest, and poorest countries.
- 32 of the members are classified as small states.
- Small states are especially vulnerable to things like climate change or developmental challenges.
- Every 2 years, the member countries meet to discuss issues affecting the Commonwealth and the wider world at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).
- All members have an equal say regardless of size or wealth. This makes sure even the smallest countries have a voice in shaping the Commonwealth.