All BRICS countries have agreed to the Science, Technology and Innovation led BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action Plan (2021-24) proposed by India during 12th Meeting of BRICS S&T Steering Committee.
- Indian had proposed the plan to facilitate sharing of experiences of each other’s innovation ecosystem and networking of innovators and entrepreneurs.
- The Details of the Action Plan would be worked out by BRICS Science, Technology Innovation Entrepreneurship partnership (STIEP) Working Group.
- It was agreed that the proposal may be forwarded to BRICS STIEP working group through the respective country’s STI focal point.
12th Meeting of BRICS S&T Steering Committee
- Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, hosted the meeting on 8th July, 2021. Scientific ministries and agencies of all BRICS countries participated in it.
- The officials discussed in detail about the ten thematic areas.
- Further, all countries agreed to thematic areas proposed by India for 6th edition of BRICS Young Scientist Conclave, which will be held in Bangalore during 13-16 September 2021.
- The three themes to be discussed at the conclave include Healthcare; Energy Solutions, Cyber-Physical System (CPS), and their applications.
- BRICS is an important grouping bringing together the major emerging economies from the world.
- Based on World Bank data (2019), it comprises of 41% of the world population, having 24% of the world GDP and over 16% share in the world trade.
- BRICS countries have been the main engines of global economic growth over the years.
- Over a period of time, BRICS countries have come together to deliberate on important issues under the three pillars of political and security, economic and financial and cultural and people to people exchanges.
- The leaders of BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) countries met for the first time in St. Petersburg, Russia, on the margins of G8 Outreach Summit in July 2006.
- Shortly afterwards, in September 2006, the group was formalised as BRIC during the 1st BRIC Foreign Ministers’ Meeting,
- After a series of high level meetings, the 1st BRIC summit was held in Yekaterinburg, Russia on 16 June 2009.
- BRIC group was renamed as BRICS after South Africa was accepted as a full member at the BRIC Foreign Ministers’ meeting in New York in September 2010.
- Accordingly, South Africa attended the 3rd BRICS Summit in Sanya, China on 14 April 2011.
13th BRICS Summit India (15th anniversary this year)
- The 13th BRICS Summit is going to be held under India’s Chairship in 2021.
- It will be the third time that India will be hosting the BRICS Summit after 2012 and 2016.
- The theme for India’s Chairship is ‘BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation and Consensus’.