The Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Act, 2021, came into force.
What is in the Act?
- The Act amends the GNCT of Delhi Act, 1991.
- According to the legislation, the "government" in Delhi means the "Lieutenant Governor."
- The city government will now mandatorily have to take the opinion of the L-G before taking any executive action.
- It also provides that the opinion of the LG "shall be obtained" on all such matters as may be specified by the LG, before taking any executive action.
Inquiry by the Assembly into administrative decisions:
- The Bill also prohibits the Legislative Assembly from making any rule to enable itself or its Committees to:
- consider the matters of day-to-day administration of the NCT of Delhi
- conduct any inquiry in relation to administrative decisions
- Further, any provision in force having the above said effect will be void.
LG’s opinion for executive actions:
- The Act specifies that all executive action by the government, whether taken on the advice of the Ministers or otherwise, must be taken in the name of the LG.
- The Bill adds that on certain matters, as specified by the LG, his opinion must be obtained before taking any executive action on the decisions of the Minister/ Council of Ministers.