‘Organic meth’ going the heroin way?
- Posted By
8th Dec, 2020
What is organic meth?
- Methamphetamine (Meth) is a potent psychostimulant drug and neurotoxin.
- In low doses cause elevated mood and energy.
- While it has limited use as a legitimate pharmaceutical, methamphetamine has become a popular, addictive, and illegal recreational drug.
- This ‘organic meth’ is in high demand in countries like Australia.
What is the concern?
- A matter of grave concern is that an already well-established route for heroin trafficking across the world is being used to push it.
- The meth being seized of late is suspected to have been prepared using the precursor, ephedrine, extracted from Ephedra.
- There is emerging evidence of Afghanistan’s (a member of the golden crescent) role as a producer and supplier of ephedrine and methamphetamine.
- The Golden Crescent is the name given to one of Asia's two principal areas of illicit opium production located at the crossroads of Central, South, and Western Asia.
- This space overlaps three nations, Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan, whose mountainous peripheries define the crescent.
- The Golden Triangle is the area where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet at the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong rivers.