PM lays the foundation stone of rural drinking water supply projects in Vindhyachal region of Uttar Pradesh
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
24th Nov, 2020
- The rural drinking water supply projects are started in Mirzapur and Sonbhadra districts of Vindhyachal region.
- It will provide household tap water connections in all rural households of 2,995 villages and will benefit about 42 lakh population of these districts.
- Village Water and Sanitation Committees/ Paani Samiti have been constituted in all these villages, who will shoulder the responsibility of operation and maintenance.
- The projects are planned to be completed in 24 months.
- On the similar line the Jal Jeevan Mission is also providing piped drinking water connection to more than 2 crore 60 lakh families including lakhs of families in Uttar Pradesh as well.
Jal Jeevan Mission
- Jal Jeevan Mission, is envisioned to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2024 to all households in rural India.
- It was started under the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- To provide FHTC to every rural household.
- To prioritize provision of FHTCs in quality affected areas, villages in drought prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- To provide functional tap connection to Schools, Anganwadi centres, GP buildings, Health centres, wellness centres and community building.
- To monitor functionality of tap connections.
- To promote and ensure voluntary ownership among local community by way of contribution in cash, kind and/ or labour and voluntary labour (shramdaan).
- To assist in ensuring sustainability of water supply system, i.e. water source, water supply infrastructure, and funds for regular O&M.
- To empower and develop human resource in the sector such that the demands of construction, plumbing, electrical, water quality management, water treatment, catchment protection, O&M, etc. are taken care of in short and long term.
- To bring awareness on various aspects and significance of safe drinking water and involvement of stakeholders in manner that make water everyone's business.