Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Unity Day 2022
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
31st Oct, 2022
The National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is celebrated every year on October 31st.
About National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- The National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is celebrated every year on October 31st to commemorate the birth anniversary of India’s first Home Minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- This year will mark the 147th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who is also known as the Iron Man of India.
- The Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Unity Day was introduced by the Indian government in 2014 to pay tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his birth anniversary for his extraordinary work in keeping India united.
- The first Rashtriya Ekta Diwas event was inaugurated by the Prime Minister who flagged of a program, ‘Run for Unity’ in New Delhi in 2014.
- The Rashtriya Ekta Diwas provides an opportunity to reaffirm the inherent strength and resilience of our nation towards upholding the unity, integrity, and security of our country.
- In honour of Sardar Vallabhbha Patel, the government of India constructed the world’s tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel near the Narmada River in Gujarat which symbolizes the strength of unity in India.
- The main objective of the celebration is to uplift the nation’s unity and spread awareness about Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s contribution to Indian history.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat.
- He was the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of independent India.
- He played an important role in the integration of many Indian princely states to make an Indian federation.
- At the time of independence, he played a key role in convincing several princely states to align with the Indian Union. He also worked hard as a social leader for the independence of India.
- After the signing of the Gandhi–Irwin Pact, Patel was elected president of Congress for its 1931 session (Karachi).
- Women of Bardoli bestowed the title ‘Sardar’ on Vallabhbhai Patel, which means ‘a Chief or a Leader’.
- He is recognized as the real unifier of India for his colossal contribution to integrating and making India a united (Ek Bharat) and an independent nation.
- He requested the people of India to live together by uniting in order to create Shresth Bharat (Foremost India).
- He is also remembered as the ‘Patron saint of India’s civil servants as he established the modern all-India services system.
- The Statue of Unity at Kevadiya in the Narmada district of Gujarat (2018) was built in his honour.