PM Modi paid tribute to Shivakumara Swamiji, a prominent Lingayat scholar, educator, and spiritual leader on his birth anniversary.
- ShivakumaraSwamiji was known as ‘Nadedaaduva Devaru or Walking God’ among his followers
- He was considered as the incarnation of Basavanna who was the 12th-century social reformer, as he accepted everyone irrespective of their religion or caste.
- The Swamiji had founded around 132 institutions for education and training purposes.
- His triple sacraments or ''Trividha Daasoha'' included - food, shelter, and education
- He was also awarded by Padma Bhushan in 2015.
- Lingayatism is a Shaivite Hindu religious tradition and considered a Hindu sect asits beliefs include many Hindu elements.
- Some Lingayats recently demanding legal recognition as a religion distinct from Hinduism and Veerashaivas
- It was initially known as Veerashaivas and since the 12th-century followers of this faith are known as Lingayats.
- Lingayatism was founded by the 12th-century philosopher Basava in Karnataka.
- Contemporary Lingayatism is very influential in South India, especially in the state of Karnataka and Maharashtra.
- Lingayatism rejects any form of social discrimination based on religion and including the caste system.