A tripartite agreement was signed between Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL), Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals Limited (RSMML) and the Department of Mines & Geology (DMG), Govt. of Rajasthan for taking up feasibility studies of Solution Mining of Potash in the state of Rajasthan.
Significane of the MoU
- Harnessing the potential: It will pave the way to undertake feasibility studies for harnessing sub-surface salt deposits through solution mining,
- Utilization of resources: It will utilise Rajasthan’s rich mineral reserves
- Economically viable: It will boost its economy.
- Hub of solution mining: It will help in establishing it as a hub of solution mining of potash, the 1st in the country.
- Self-dependency: This project will generate employment as well as support the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan by way of generating import substitution.
Potential sites of Potash in Rajasthan
- Rajasthan has huge Potash and Halite resources spread.
- It is found across the Nagaur – Ganganagar basin in the northwest.
- Most of the potash deposits in Rajasthan are identified in Nagore-Ganganagar basin of Rajasthan covering parts of Sriganganagar, Hanumangarh and Bikaner districts.
- Storage potenial: Bedded Salt formations in Rajasthan are strategically useful for underground oil storage, repositories for hydrogen, ammonia and helium gas, storage of compresses gas and nuclear waste.
- Industrial usage: Potash & Sodium Chloride from the Bedded Salt are extensively used in the Fertiliser Industry and the Chemical Industry respectively.