A new type of ancient crater lake discovered on Mars
- Posted By
2nd Apr, 2021
Researchers at Brown University in the US have discovered a new unknown type of ancient crater lake on Mars which could reveal clues about the planet's early climate.
About the Finding
- The crater is unusual in having geological evidence of ancient stream beds and ponds.
- It could be fed by runoff from a long-lost Martian glacier.
- Water flowed into the crater atop the glacier.
- Significance: The crater provides key clues about the early climate of the red planet.
How it is different?
- In other Martian lake systems, the drainage breaches the crater wall and in some cases flowing out the other side. But here everything is happening inside the crater
- Other Martian crater lakes: Gale and Jezero craters
- A volcanic crater lake is a lake in a crater that forms from explosive activity or collapse during a volcanic eruption.
- Crater lakes form as the created depression, within the crater rim and are filled by water.
- The water in a crater lake may come from precipitation, groundwater circulation, or melted ice.