European Union to impose sanctions on Russia for poisoningopposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- Posted By
14th Oct, 2020
- Imposition of sanction was initiated by France and Germany.
- Navalny was an anti-corruption investigator and the major political opponent of Vladimir Putin the Russian president.
- He fell ill on August 20 2020 during a domestic flight. He was then flown to Germany for a treatment and is still recovering there.
- The tests conducted by the organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons confirm that he has become a victim of the novichoknerveagent.
- Novichok nerve agents: It is a group of Advanced nerve agents that were developed by the Soviet Union in 1970 and 1980. These nerve agents have the capability to escape protection by international inspectors.
- Nerve agents: They are also called nerve gases. They are organic Chemicals that disrupt the mechanism by which nerves transfer messages to organs. This is done by the chemical by blocking the enzyme acetyl Cholinesterase.
- In 2017 The Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons a confirmed destruction of 39967 metric tons of chemical weapons possessed by Russia.
- Sanctions on Belarus: the sanctions on Belarus includes travel Ban against Lukashenko. He is the leader who is ruling Belarus since 1994. Belarus is already under sanctions from UK and US. The previous sanction from European union was lifted in 2016. Lukashenko had Locked Up most of the opposition candidates and chased the main Contender SvetlandaTikhanovskaya to Lithuania.