First joint commands: India gets ready to roll out
- Posted By
Science & Technology
17th Feb, 2021
India is all set to roll out a long-awaited ‘theaterisation plan’ with Air Defence Command and Maritime Theatre Command by May this year.
What is Joint Command?
- Joint Command is an integrated command in which the resources of all the services are unified under a single commander.
- It is also known as theater command.
- All the resources of the military are pooled and put under a single command to get the best and integrated results.
Theaterisation means putting specific units of personnel from the three services — Army, Navy and Air Force — under a common theatre commander so that they fight as a cohesive unit through rationalisation of manpower and resources.
- The US Department of Defense has 11 combatant commands
- China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has five theatre commands
What is the need for a joint command?
- The commands are being set up in the backdrop of border tensions with China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh and Pakistani hostility along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu & Kashmir.