‘Mahabahu-Brahmaputra’: Ro- Pax vessel in Assam
- Posted By
17th Feb, 2021
The Ro-Pax vessel (roll-on/roll-off passenger service)- Mahabahu-Brahmaputra will be launched in Assam along with two bridges.
What is Mahabahu-Brahmaputra?
- It is Ro-Pax vessel (roll-on/roll-off passenger service) operation service.
- It will operate between-
- Neamati-Majuli Island
- North Guwahati-South Guwahati
- Dhubri-Hatsingimari Shilanyasof Inland Water Transport (IWT) Terminal at Jogighopa
- Various tourist jetties on River Brahmaputra
- Aim: The program is aimed at providing seamless connectivity to the Eastern parts of India
- Roll-on/roll-off (RORO or ro-ro) ships are cargo ships.
- They are designed to carry wheeled cargo, such as cars, trucks, etc.
- Wheeled cargo is driven on and off the ship on their own wheels or using a platform vehicle, such as a self-propelled modular transporter.
- This is in contrast to lift-on/lift-off (LoLo) vessels, which use a crane to load and unload cargo.