FSSAI’s draft notification out on rating for packaged food
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
23rd Sep, 2022
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has issued a draft notification on front-of-package labeling.
- It proposes “Indian Nutrition Rating” (INR) modelled on the health star-rating system.
- The draft of the amended Food Safety and Standards (Labelling & Display) Regulations, 2020 requires packaged food to display the prescribed format of INR by assigning a rating from 1/2 star (least healthy) to five stars (healthiest).
- The INR is to be calculated on the basis of contribution of:
- saturated fat
- total sugar
- the positive nutrients
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a statutory body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- The FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
- Statutory powers that the FSS Act, 2006 gives to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India are:
- Framing of regulations to lay down food safety standards
- Laying down guidelines for accreditation of laboratories for food testing
- Providing scientific advice and technical support to the Central Government
- Contributing to the development of international technical standards in food
- Collecting and collating data regarding food consumption, contamination, emerging risks, etc.
- Disseminating information and promoting awareness about food safety and nutrition in India.
- FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- The FSSAI is headed by a non-executive chairperson, appointed by the Central Government, either holding or has held the position of not below the rank of Secretary to the Government of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- The authority also has 6 regional offices:
- The main aim of FSSAI is to
- Lay down science-based standards for articles on food.
- To regulate the manufacture, storage, distribution, import, and sale of food.
- To facilitate the safety of food.