ISRO successfully tests hybrid motor to strengthen new propulsion system for rockets
- Posted By
Science & Technology
23rd Sep, 2022
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested a hybrid motor.
- The test was conducted at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu.
?Key-highlights of the test
- The ISRO Liquid Propulsion Systems Center (LPSC) provided support for the test.
- The hybrid motor used Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) as fuel and liquid oxygen (LOX) as the oxidizer.
- Unlike solid-solid or liquid-liquid combinations, a hybrid motor uses solid fuel and liquid oxidizer.
- This will pave way for a new propulsion system for the upcoming launch vehicles.
- The motor is said to be advantageous due to its safe and green propulsion system.
- ISRO also highlighted that hybrid motors facilitate throttling and enable the re-start capability.