PLI Scheme on ‘National programme on High Efficiency Solar PV Modules’
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
23rd Sep, 2022
The Union Cabinet approved Production Linked Incentive Scheme Tranche-2 on ‘National programme on High-Efficiency Solar PV Modules’ for achieving manufacturing capacity of Giga Watt scale in High-Efficiency Solar PV Modules.
About the Programme
- The national programme on High Efficiency Solar PV Modules aims to build an ecosystem for manufacturing of high efficiency solar PV modules in India.
- The programme is being implemented under the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.
- Under it, the government has provided an outlay of Rs.19,500 crore for achieving manufacturing capacity of Giga Watt (GW) scale in High Efficiency Solar PV Modules.
- Solar PV manufacturers will be selected through a transparent selection process.
- PLI will be disbursed for 5 years post commissioning of solar PV manufacturing plants on sales of high efficiency solar PV modules from the domestic market will be incentivised.
About Solar PV modules
- Solar PV modules are created by joining together solar cells with photovoltaic (PV) cells.
- They are produced using semiconductors like crystalline silicon.
- Solar modules transform solar energy into electric energy.
- It will strengthen the Atamnirbhar Bharat initiative and generate employment.
- Furthermore, it will help in reducing the country's import dependence in the area of Renewable Energy.
Benefits of PLI Scheme
- The outcomes/benefits expected from the scheme are as follows:
- It is estimated that about 65,000 MW per annum manufacturing capacity of fully and partially integrated, solar PV modules would be installed.
- The scheme will bring direct investment of around Rs.94,000 crore.
- Creation of manufacturing capacity for Balance of Materials like EVA, Solar glass, Backsheet, etc.
- Direct employment of about 1,95,000 and indirect employment of around 7,80,000 persons.
- Import substitution of approximately Rs.1.37 lakh crore.
- Impetus to Research and Development to achieve higher efficiencies in Solar PV Modules.
What is the PLI Scheme?
- The PLI scheme was conceived to scale up domestic manufacturing capability, accompanied by higher import substitution and employment generation.
- Launched in March 2020, the scheme initially targeted three industries:
- Mobile and allied Component Manufacturing
- Electrical Component Manufacturing
- Medical Devices
- This scheme was introduced in line with India’s Atma Nirbhar Bharat Campaign.