Inclusion of 14 New Minor Forest produce
- Posted By
1st Feb, 2021
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has revised the MSP for MFP list and has included 14 additional MFPs in the list.
Which forest products have been included?
- Cashew Kernel, TasarCoccoon, Cashew Kernel, Elephant Apple Dry, Bamboo Shoot, Malkangani Seed, Mahul Leaves, Nagod, Gokhru, Pipla/ Uchithi, Gamhar/ Gamari (dry bark), Oroxylumindicum (dry bark), Wild Mushroom dry, Shringraj, Tree Moss.
Minimum Support Price scheme
- The Central government had introduced a minimum support price (MSP) for a select list of MFP through “Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce through Minimum Support price and development of Value Chain of MFP” Scheme in 2011.
- It is conceptualised and implemented by TRIFED in association with State Government Agencies across 21 states of the country.
- The Van Dhan tribal start-ups, also a component of the same scheme.
- TRIFED, as the apex national organisation involved in the improvement of the livelihood and empowerment of these tribal people, is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.
Significance of the move
- Over the past year, due to the unprecedented crisis caused by the ongoing pandemic, the lives and livelihoods of people across all segments, and in particular, the disadvantaged tribals, across the country have been severely disrupted.
- At such a time, the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ becomes very significant.
- Continuing with its earlier efforts to provide remunerative and fair prices to tribal gatherers of forest produces, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has revised the MSP for MFP list and has included 14 additional MFPs in the list.