Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education award
- Posted By
22nd Jul, 2020
- Scientist Kannan C S Warrier has been conferred the National Award of Excellence for Outstanding Research in Forestry for the year 2019.
- The Award was given by the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE).
- The scientist was involved in releasing three productive clones of casuarina, known as kattadi and savukku that are suitable for salt-affected soils for the first time in the country.
- Casuarina is a genus of 17 tree species in the family Casuarinaceae.
- The tree is native to Australia, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, islands of the western Pacific Ocean, and eastern Africa.
- They are evergreen shrubs and trees growing to 35 m (115 ft.) tall.