Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) violates law says NGT
- Posted By
23rd Oct, 2020
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT)has held that environmental clearance (EC) to the Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) was granted expost facto, after completion of substantial work, by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) “in violation of law”.
- NGT has directed the MoEF&CC to constitute a seven-member expert committeepreferably out of expert appraisal committee (EAC) members with relevant sectorial expertise to go into the matter in light of the observations in the present case.
- The expert committee will be responsible to fix accountability needs and take remedial measures.
- Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project:It is aimed to make Telangana drought proof by harnessing the flood waters of the Godavari.
- The project is an under-construction multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River in Kaleshwaram, Bhoopalpally, Telangana.
- The project starts at the confluence point of Pranahita River and Godavari River.
- The project will also support Mission Kakatiya and Mission Bhagiratha schemesdesigned to provide drinking water to many villages and improve the capacities of tanks.
- When completed, it will be the world’s largest irrigation and drinking water system.