Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of the Ecosystem Services (NCAVES) India Forum-2021
- Posted By
9th January, 2021
- NCAVES India Forum 2021 is being organised by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
What is about the NCAVES Project?
- This project has been jointly implemented by the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Secretariat of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD).
- India is one of the five countries taking part in this project - the other countries being Brazil, China, South Africa and Mexico.
- This project is funded by EU.
Who will be the implementing agency in India?
- In India, the NCAVES project is being implemented by the MoSPI in close collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC).
What are the objectives of the project?
- It is a tool giving a snapshot of the values of various ecosystem services in the different States of the country, based on about 80 studies conducted across the country.
- It provides a critical view on the literature that is available and the applicability of estimates spatially across India according to bio-geographical areas.
- It will bring the international agencies in the domain of natural capital accounting and valuation of ecosystem services.
- The Forum aims to build a stronger awareness about the different perspective to Environment and to show a way forward towards realizing the contribution of the natural capital to achieve a “better environment, better tomorrow”.