New fungi species discovered in China
- Posted By
Science & Technology
7th Jul, 2020
- A subterranean expedition by a group of researchers in China has led to the discovery of four novel fungal species on bat carcasses.
- The four new species are
- Mortierella rhinolophicola
- M multispora
- M yunnanensis
- Neocosmospora pallidimors.
- Neocosmospora pallidimors is particularly important as the Neocosmospora genus is known to contain numerous aggressive pathogens that can infect mammals.
- Three out of the four new species belong to Mortierella, a genus of well-known saprophytic fungi (meaning they obtain nutrients through dissolving organic matter).
- Fusarium incarnatum, Mucor hiemalis and Trichoderma harzanium comprised the final three species.
- White-nose syndrome, caused by fungi Pseudogymnoascus destructans, has claimed at least six million bat lives since 2006.