New species of pipeworts
- Posted By
10th Oct, 2020
- Scientists from Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), have recently found two new species of pipeworts in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- The one reported from Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra was named as Eriocaulon parvicephalum (due to its minute inflorescence size).
- The other reported from Kumta, Karnataka was named as Eriocaulon karaavalense (named after Karaavali = Coastal Karnataka region).
- The plant group known as pipeworts (Eriocaulon), which completes their life cycle within a small period during monsoon.
- It exhibits great diversity in the Western Ghats, having around 111 species in India.
- Most of these are reported from the Western Ghats and Eastern Himalayas, and around 70% of them are endemic to the country.
- Eriocaulon cinereum is well known for its anti-cancerous, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties.
- E. quinquangulare is used against liver diseases.
- E. madayiparense is an anti-bacterial from Kerala.
Verifying, please be patient.