Rotation profile of the Sun based on century-old sunspot images
- Posted By
Science & Technology
16th Feb, 2021
A team of international solar researchers has designed a rotation profile of the Sun after studying the varying behaviors of sunspots observed over 100 years.
About the rotation profile
- The design of the solar rotation profil is based on the rotation of Sunspots.
- It says that the bigger sunspots rotate at a slower rate in comparison to the smaller ones.
- The presence of strong magnetic fields around bigger sunspots prevents them from having a faster rotation rate. And, the smaller spots rotate at a much faster rate.
What are Sunspots?
- They are small and dark areas on the solar surface.
- They are comparatively cooler areas.
- They have strong magnetic forces.
How the rotation of the Sun is different from the rotation of Earth?
- Unlike Earth, which is a solid mass of body having uniform rotation, the Sun has differential rates of rotation.
- This means the solar equator rotates faster than its poles.
Significance of the design
- It will help in understanding the solar dynamo.
- It can give a better insight into the solar cycle.
- It will help in predicting how the Sun will behave in the future.