Sleeping sickness or African Trypanosomiasis
- Posted By
Science & Technology
1st Sep, 2020
- Togo has become the first country in Africa to eliminate sleeping sickness or African Trypanosomiasis.
- According to the WHO, sleeping sickness is currently found in 36 sub-Saharan African countries.
- This is a disease caused by infection with the protozoa Trypanosoma brucei.
- African trypanosomiasis is transmitted to humans by bites of tsetse fly (found only in rural Africa).
- Early symptoms include fever, headaches, joint pains and itching.
- Later stages may include behavioural changes, confusion and poor coordination.
- Treatment involves drugs to kill the parasites.