Who is Thiruvalluvar?
- Thiruvalluvar is commonly known as ‘Valluvar’ and expected to live during the 2nd Century CE.
- He was a celebrated Tamil poet and philosopher.
- He is best known as the author of Tirukku?a?, a collection of couplets on ethics, political and economy and love.
- The text is considered an exceptional and widely cherished work of the Tamil literature.
- Little is known about the life of Tiruvalluvar except that he is believed to have lived in Mylapore (now part of Chennai, Tamil Nadu) with his wife, Vasuki.
- He was probably a Jain ascetic of humble origins who worked as a weaver.
- Both Buddhists and Shaivites, however, claim him as their own, and he is especially revered by those of low caste.