Vijayanagara became Karnataka’s 31st district
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
12th Feb, 2021
The Karnataka government issued a notification demarcating boundaries of the newly-formed Vijayanagara district. With Vijayanagara, the state now has 31 districts.
Formation of a new district
- For the formation of a new district, no central government permission is required whereas the formation of a new state is in the purview of Central government.
- This will be under the state government only.
About the Vijayanagara district
- The newly-formed Vijayanagara district was named after the capital of the Vijayanagar Empire.
- The new district was carved out from Ballari under the Karnataka Land Revenue Act, 1964.
- It is famous for its UNESCO World Heritage sites – Hampi and VirupakshaTemple.
- Vijayanagara has six taluks – Hosapete, Kudligi, Hagaribommanahalli, Kotturu, HoovinaHadagali, and Harapanahalli.
- Hosapete is its headquarters.