World Wildlife Crime Report
- Posted By
16th Jul, 2020
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has released its World Wildlife Crime Report
- It stated that the Seizure of the scales of the Pangolins, the most trafficked wild animal in the world has increased 10 times between the year 2014 and 2018.
- The pangolins foster a wide range of coronavirus, which shares genetic similarities with the virus that causes COVID-19.
- The report also features about the trafficking of rosewood timber, African elephant tusks and rhinoceros’ horns, live reptiles, big cats and European glass eels.
- Nigeria was the primary point of export of pangolins in 2019.
- Around 75% of the all emerging infectious diseases are Zoonotic diseases including the SARS-CoV-2.
- The pangolin parts are used for treating various physical and psychological conditions in Nigeria.