The rural development ministry has approved the scheme for 'consent-based linkage of land records with Aadhar. After approval from the cabinet, it will be the part under the Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP).
What is Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP)?
- It is a Central Sector Scheme and was launched in April 2016 to replace the National Land Records Modernisation Programme.
- The programmehas been extended up to 2020-21.
- It is a flagship program of the Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development.
- The programme aims to digitise India’s outdated paper-driven land records and land registration system.
- The government plans to link Aadhaar numbers with a proposed unique number assigned to each land parcel known as Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN).
- Prior informed approval of citizens would be taken to link their Aadhaar numbers to records showing their ownership of property.
Significance of the linking land records with Aadhar
- The linking plan would “enhance ease of doing business in a significant way”.
- Aadhaar integration is vital to check benami /fraudulent transactions of land.
- It is also essential to promote Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) to the beneficiaries.
- The need to link Aadhaar would satisfy a growing need to integrate identity proofs in land records documentation.
Important initiatives for digitalization of land records
National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS)
- In order to move towards digitisation and promote ease of doing business, the government of India launched the National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS) as a pilot programme.
- Under this program, property registration facility would be available online across the country.
- Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN)
- The ULPIN, also known as “Aadhaar for land”, is a fourteen-digit Alpha Numeric ID for each land parcel.
- PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)
- The Union government has provided for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with agricultural land records as part of its income support scheme for farmers called PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
- It is a Central Sector Scheme launched in April 2020.
- The Ministry of Panchayati Raj (PR) is the Nodal Ministry for the implementation of the scheme.
- In the States, the Revenue Department / Land Records Department will be the Nodal Department and shall carry out the scheme with the support of the State Panchayati Raj Department.
- The scheme aims to provide an integrated property validation solution for rural India.
- The demarcation of rural abadi areas would be done using Drone Surveying technology.
- This would provide the ‘record of rights’ to village household owners possessing houses in inhabited rural areas in villages which, in turn, would enable them to use their property as a financial asset for taking loans and other financial benefits from banks.