India’s National Plastic Surgery Day gets global acceptance
- Posted By
Science & Technology
16th Jul, 2021
July 15 is announced to be observed as World Plastic Surgery Day by the Association of Plastic Surgeons.
About the World Plastic Surgery Day
- The concept of National Plastic Surgery Day came in 2011 to create awareness of plastic surgery.
- Every plastic surgeon in the country did one free surgery to mark the inaugural year.
- Plastic surgery originated from India and Sushruta is hailed by all as the founder of plastic surgery.
- He was an ancient Indian physician and surgeon known today as the “Father of Indian Surgery” and “Father of Plastic Surgery” for inventing and developing surgical procedures.
- He is said to be born in 800 BCE in the Kingdom of Kashi, Aryavartha.
- His work on the subject, the SushrutaSamhita (Sushruta's Compendium) is considered the oldest text in the world on plastic surgery.
- The other books of the trilogy of Ayurvedic Medicine are CharakaSamhita, which preceded it, and the AstangaHridaya, which followed it.