IMD launches impact-based cyclone warning system
- Posted By
15th Oct, 2020
- India Meteorological Department(IMD) has launched a dynamic, impact-based cyclone warning system.
- To minimize economic losses and damage to property from cyclones that hit the country’s coasts every year.
- Under this, district or location will issue specific warnings which will factor in the infrastructure, local population; settlements, land use as well as other elements will be disseminated and prepared.
- All the disaster management agencies will also make the extensive use of geological, cartographic and hydrological data available for the concerned district.
- If a district is to be hit by a wind up to 160 kmph, the system will warn about the kind of infrastructure that will likely get damaged and these can be mapped.
- IMD: It was established in 1875.It is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences.It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology.