Mechanism by which bacterium Xoo interacts with rice plants uncovered
- Posted By
Science & Technology
15th Oct, 2020
- Recently, scientists from the Centre for Plant Molecular Biology (CPMB) have uncovered the mechanism by which bacterium called Xoo causes disease in rice plants.
- Xanthomonasoryzaepv. oryzae (Xoo) causes a serious bacterial leaf blight disease in rice. It is also known as Bacterial blight.
- The most-common method of defending against rice bacterial blight is the cultivation of rice varieties with genes that confer resistance to Xoo infection.
- However, this method involves breeding or gene manipulation techniques that are laborious and time-consuming.
- New ApproachScientists are working to identify and develop few molecules which are derived either from the Xoo bacterium or from the infected rice cell walls.
- Treatment of rice with cellulase, a cell wall degrading enzyme secreted by Xoo induces rice immune responses and protects rice from subsequent infections by Xoo.