In a bid to boost tourism in the area, the Uttar Pradesh Government has changed the name of Jhansi Railway Station to Virangana Laxmibai Railway Station.
Who was Rani Laxmibai?
- Rani Laxmibai or popularly known as Jhansi ki Rani was an Indian queen.
- She was the Maharani consort of the Maratha Princely State of Jhansi from 1843 to 1853 as the wife of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao.
- Rani Laxmibai was one of the leading figures of the 1857 Indian Rebellion and she also became a symbol of resistance to the British Raj for the Indian Nationalists.
- Laxmibai was one of the most famous leaders of rebellion during British time. She was killed in battle with British forces in Gwalior on June 18, 1858.
What is the procedure for changing the name?
- The task of renaming a city is given to the State Legislators.
- The procedure differs from state to state but the regulations remain the
- Raising a request: The first step involves raising a request in the form of a resolution by any MLA, which proposes the renaming of any particular city or street.
- Discussion: On the basis of the request of the MLA, the issue would be deliberated upon and the consequences of the same shall be discussed upon.
- Voting: The final step involves voting on the validity of the resolution.
- If a simple majority is attained in favour of the resolution, the said resolution shall be declared passed.
- The State Legislation on the basis of the majority view shall make the necessary changes in the name of the state or city public.
- Final approval: The proposal will go to the Centre for approval before the city is officially renamed.
Recently name changed by UP government
- The names of three major railway stations have already been changed by the state government. In which
- The name of Allahabad station has been changed to Prayagraj station.
- Mughalsarai station has been renamed as Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar railway station.
- Faizabad has been renamed as