Translational Health Science And Technology Institute (DBT – THSTI)
- Posted By
Science & Technology
10th Oct, 2020
- Translational Health Science And Technology Institute (an autonomous institute of the Department of Biotechnology) has now been recognized by CEPI as one of the Global network of Laboratories for centralized assessment of COVID 19 Vaccines.
- The mandate of the bioassay laboratory at THSTI is to provide validated assays for vaccine development on par with global standards.
- The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) network will initially involve six labs, one each in Canada, Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Bangladesh and India.
- The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology has been implementing the IndCEPI mission (India Centric Epidemic Preparedness through Rapid Vaccine Development: Supporting Indian Vaccine Development).
- The Ind-CEPI mission for establishment of BSL-3 facility is a translational laboratory for platform technologies and a Bioassay laboratory for development of assays to measure clinical immunogenicity.
- Aim: To strengthen the development of vaccines and associated competencies/technologies for the diseases of epidemic potential in India.
- The objectives of this mission are aligned with the Global Initiative of Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness for Innovation (CEPI).
- CEPI is focused on the World Health Organisation’s blueprint priority diseases which include: the Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV), the Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the Nipah virus, Chikungunya virus etc.